Lettings Through Petermans

by Garry Hughes

September 2016


By Ben Moser

We aim to give you the highest possible standard of service for total peace of mind when letting a property.

We strive to prevent problems occurring but also have the expertise to deal with any issues that may come along.

Finding the right tenant is the first step to a successful letting. Aside from the usual tenant referencing, we provide extra checks to ensure that, to the best of our knowledge, the tenant is capable of maintaining payment of their monthly rent.

Letting a property creates many responsibilities for the landlord and we are here to offer guidance in this area. Whether the problem is related to gas, electricity, furniture, or something else, there can be serious consequences for a landlord if they have not adhered to the required rules and regulations. Since 6th April 2007, all new tenancy deposits have to be protected in a government-authorised scheme. Failure to do so can result in penalties for a landlord and the loss of automatic rights to regain possession at the end of the tenancy. As a member of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, we ensure that our landlords are fully protected. For more information on becoming a landlord in Herne Hill, Edgware, or West Dulwich, do browse our relevant pages.

The Inland Revenue classes any rent that is received as a form of income and this needs to be declared. However, you can offset many items against the income and we can assist with general advice. Some clients may need an accountant for detailed advice but we can also help with a general overview. Additional regulations apply for non-UK resident landlords, and in these instances we can ensure that our service allows for The Inland Revenue’s requirements. The Inland Revenue publish a wide range of leaflets, most of which are available online.

Wendy Peterman, Managing Director at Herne Hill branch, Petermans

Wendy Peterman, Managing Director at Herne Hill branch

Legal Advice – Hopefully you will never need any legal advice while letting a property, but if required we are on hand to give guidance, issue section notices, and attend court on certain issues. If we are unable to help we can direct you to the correct legal contacts.


Get in touch with your local property expert...

Print / Share: