Information for Landlords

by Garry Hughes

January 2017


By Admin

Petermans provide invaluable advice and information for landlords wishing to rent out a property. Listed below are the fundamental points required for this.


Gas Safety Certificate

It is illegal to rent a property with gas appliances (e.g. boiler, cooker) without having a valid Gas Safety Certificate. The Gas Safety Certificate must be issued on an annual basis by a Gas Safe registered gas engineer who will be required to carry out a safety check on the boiler, to pipes and flues, and to make sure that any other gas-run appliances are maintained and in a safe condition. The Gas Safety Certificate is valid for 12 months and must be renewed every year if the property is tenanted. No tenancy can commence without receipt of a valid Gas Safety Certificate.

Fire safety -The Furniture & Furnishings (fire) (safety) (amendments) Regulations 1993

It is necessary to provide only furniture and furnishings which comply with the current legislation. The furniture and furnishings included are any of the following which contain upholstery: all furniture including children’s furniture and nursery furnishings, beds, headboards, mattresses, pillows, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, garden furniture, scatter cushions, seat pads, and loose or stretch covers for furniture.

Please note that it is an offence to supply furniture which does not comply with the regulations and to make such a supply carries a punishment of imprisonment or a fine of up to £5,000.00. In the event of the incorrect information being supplied by a landlord, he/she will be solely liable for any action taken by an authority for failure to comply.

Energy Performance Certificate

Since 1st October 2008, all landlords are required by law to ensure that an Energy Performance Certificate is carried out before letting a property. This certificate grades on an ‘A-G’ rating system the energy efficiency of the property. This certificate should be carried out by an accredited assessor.

The Housing Act 2004 (HMO Regulations)

From April 2006, all property owners must comply with the latest regulations relating to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s). The new laws re-define HMO’s and dictate which HMO’s are subject to mandatory licensing. Penalties for breach of these laws are severe, with fines of up to £20,000.00 for failure to get a license or for breaching permitted numbers. For further information visit

Tenant Deposit Scheme

From 6th April 2007, all Tenancy Deposits must be protected under the Tenant Deposit Scheme by law. Failure to do so will affect the landlord’s ability to regain possession of the property. The tenant can also apply for a court order requiring the landlord to either repay the deposit or to safeguard the deposit. The court may also order the landlord to pay the tenant an equivalent amount of up to three times the deposit figure in compensation.

The three scheme operators are:

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

Tenancy Deposit Solutions Ltd (TDSL)

The Deposit Protection Service (DPS)

Deposit Dispute

Petermans will assist on any fair deposit despite subjection to an administration fee. This service is only open for properties/ landlords under our management service.

Contents and Building Insurance

The landlord is responsible for insuring the building along with any contents provided. Tenants are responsible for insuring their own personal possessions. Failure to advise insurers that a property is tenanted is likely to render the policy void.


Whether the property is to be left furnished or unfurnished, we would strongly recommend that the landlord provides us with a detailed inventory of furnishings, effects, decorative order, etc. issued by an independent inventory clerk. In our experience, an inventory is a vital part of any tenancy and should not be dismissed without considerable thought.

Spacious tidy grey living room

Services provided by the Estate / Letting Agent

Most Estate Agents provide at least 2 levels of services; Full Management and/or an Introduction Service. An outline of the services provided should be listed in the Terms and Conditions of Business. For further information about becoming a landlord in Edgware, Herne Hill, or West Dulwich, do visit our relevant pages. If you would like to ask a question about the information for landlords, or enquire as to how we assist our clients, do not hesitate to get in touch.

Get in touch with your local property expert...

Print / Share: